Welcome to Bethersden Primary School's PTA fundraising and information page
Over the last few years, thanks to the money that everyone at the school has raised, we have helped pay for extra tablets, days out at the pantomime for the whole school and much more – over the last 4 years over £10,000 of funds has been provided to the school.
We also aim to hold events, not just to raise funds but to also give memorable experiences to the children of the school. Our Christmas Cracker, Easter Extravaganza and Summer Spectacular are particular highlights on the school’s calendar. We have also held film nights, discos and much much more! It’s also a great way to meet new people and we aim to have as much fun as possible!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the PTA?
Every parent/carer and staff member is automatically a member of the PTA. Each year we have an AGM, when Trustees/committee members are elected to head up the PTA operation, plan events and work with the school to best use the funds raised.
However, the success of the PTA, and its ability to support the school, is down to the fabulous parents and teachers who volunteer to help at our events, and to those who attend and make them so special (and profitable!).
We usually hold open meetings which are open to anyone who would like to attend. We also have an open PTA WhatsApp group where we keep members informed – see below for information on how to be added to the group!
What has the PTA paid for?
Over the four years to August 2020 £10,406 of funds have been provided to the school. Some examples that this money has paid for or contributed to are:
- New tablets and covers
- Pantomime visit
- Year 6 leavers event
- Easter eggs
- Year 6 Safety in Action
- Book tokens
- Various trips for the school
- Extra funds for each class for teachers to use at their own discretion (Deer class used theirs for a trip to the Roman Museum in Canterbury for example)
- In the past, the PTA have also paid for the wooden climbing frame on the field and the play markings on the playground floor.
What events do you hold?
- Christmas Cracker
- Easter extravaganza
- Summer spectacular
- Film nights
- Easter egg hunt
- And much much more…!
Who decides what the money is spent on?
Every year at the AGM the school sets out its spending ambitions and all attending members can have their say and ultimately vote on the proposals.
Inevitably ad hoc requests are made from the school during the year. These are considered by the PTA Trustees and either accepted or rejected. These will be reported in the minutes of the Trustees meetings during the year (made available on the website) and summarised in the following AGM (usually held at the start of each school year).
How can I get involved?
You don’t have to be a Trustee to get involved. Without volunteers we cannot run events, so every little bit of help…helps! If you would like to help out there are various ways in which you can contact us initially:
- Look out for parentmail notices with dates of open meetings.
- Ask to be added to the open PTA WhatsApp group. We usually use this thread to ask for ideas, give shout outs for donations, or anything members might like to suggest or ask. (please email us, as below).
- Speak to any of us at the school gates! (We are very happy to chat with anyone, but of course, we must adhere to the government and schools policy of social distancing)
- We will be trialing a ‘Volunteer’ PTA whatsapp group this year, for people who do not want messages about the day to day running of the PTA, but who may be able to help out at specific events. We will put out a text before an event to ask if anyone is willing to help and what they would like to do. This could include helping set up and/or packing away, manning a stall, or anything else that needs extra hands!
- Come to our events!
We understand that most people lead very busy lives, so do not expect anything more than what you are willing to give. Every bit of support we get makes a difference.